Monday, July 15, 2013

Here comes the rant (doo-da-doo-doooooooh...)

I've had a lot on my mind lately.  I have a lot of opinions, I'm fed up with a lot of things, and I just need to hop up on my soapbox and clear some of this stuff out.  Ready?

1. Buy local.

There are about a gazillion commercials and campaigns out there right now about buying local.  For the most part, I agree.  It would be nice to keep Spokane money in Spokane.  That being said, I am not about to spend $24.99 on a new hardback at Auntie's Bookstore when I can get the same book at Costco or through Amazon for $17.99.  Saving $7 is more important to me than buying local.  If local stores can't compete price-wise, they won't survive.  That just is what it is.

2. "What do you value?"

Have you heard this commercial for Rosetta Stone?  Asking people "do you need more stuff" is not an effective way to justify charging $800 for a system to learn a new language, Greedo P. Moneybags.

3. I got a ticket for making a U-turn.  First, did you know that those were illegal?  Second, did you know that the ticket for making a U-turn is $124?  I haven't had a ticket since I was 17 years old.  I was leaving the home of one of the professors that I used to support, just after 10 on a Friday night.  I drive a crappy car, because having nice things in Spokane just isn't worth it.  Between the door dings and people trying to steal it, what's the point?  This pig of a cop was practically drooling, thinking I had been drinking and probably don't have any insurance.  Well, I carry full coverage on my beater piece of crap, thank you very much, and he was visibly disappointed to see that.  When I made the turn, it was at about 5 MPH, and nobody was coming in either direction.  I have seen at least 10 U-turns since then in oncoming traffic, pedestrians around, etc, AND ONE IN FRONT OF A COP.  He just kept driving, so why the F did I get a ticket?  Ohhhh, that's right, because it was the 28th day of a 30 day month, and Officer Smalldick had a quota to fill.

I could go on, but this is going downhill really fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment